The work process for upgrading Sylhet stadium as an international venue has been officially inaugurated by the Minister for Finance Mr. Abul Mal Abdul Muhit on Monday last at 5.30 p.m. [Read also: BCB president visits Sylhet International Stadium]
Mr. Muhit said that the eligibility of the stadium for the T20 world cup might be assessed in coming August.
Earlier Minister for Finance Mr. Muhit, BCB president Mr. Papon and State minister for sports Mr. Sarkar closely observed the construction work of the stadium and a work plan of the stadium had been shown to Mr. Muhit.
A program was arranged in later part of the day. BCB President Mr.Nazmul Hasan Papon said in a speech as the special guest that the Sylhet divisional stadium would definitely be prepared as an international venue. But the work should be started at least four months earlier to prepare it for the upcoming world cup. He also told that he assured ICC officials that the work would be completed in specific time as they asked for an alternative venue in the board meeting held in London last week. ICC officials will be going to visit Sylhet stadium in 7th of August before they select an alternative venue.
Papon also said the setting up of electronic machines including flood lights must be completed quickly, if necessary these can be replaced from another stadium. He said additional work force may be needed to complete the task.
Minister for Finance Mr. Muhit assured that the complications about occupation of land of the stadium was going to be solved in the evening (Monday) as the representatives from Commerce ministry and National Tea Company were all present there.
State minister for sports Mr. Ahad Ali Sarkar, Secretary Noor Mohammad, joint secretary Abdur Rahman, district administrator of Sylhet Mr. Shahidul Islam also gave their respective speeches.