Australia series all but confirmed, says Nizamuddin

There is no more confusion regarding Bangladesh’s long-awaited home bilateral series against Australia, confirmed BCB chief executive officer Nizamuddin Chowdhury on Tuesday (April 18).

Australia series all but confirmed

According to the BCB high-up, the series will consist only two Tests as planned before, with the first one to be played before before Eid-ul Azha in August while the second Test is scheduled after the festival.

Also Read - Gayle-Kohli duo hand Lions a big defeat

‘We are expecting Australia will visit Bangladesh in August-September to play two Tests in line with their FTP (Future Tour Programme) commitments,’ said Nizamuddin.

Sean Carroll, Cricket Australia’s head of security, visited Bangladesh in October to monitor security arrangements as England toured the country for a month-long series where the home side drew the Test series 1-1 and lost the three match ODI series 2-1.

Since then the cricket authorities of the two nations have been negotiating a fresh chance for Australia to tour Bangladesh, with the possibility of limited-overs matches to complement the Test series.

The BCB senior official also admitted that two countries discussed the possibilities of playing limited over matches instead of Tests but could not reach in a consensus.

“We discussed a few other formats but decided only to host the Test series,” he said.

The Aussies were initially scheduled to play two Tests  in Dhaka and Chittagong in October 2015, but the tour was called off over security fears after a spate of attacks by Islamist extremists.

 

– Jannatul Naym Pieal, Correspondent, bdcrictime.com