The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has called on the Special General Meeting (SGM) on May 7 where the final decision will be come out whether India will take part in the Champions Trophy or not at the end of day’s meeting.
A top BCCI official, in an interview given to the Hindustan Times of India has confirmed the matter. During the meeting of Board of Directors of the International Cricket Council (ICC) held in Dubai on Wednesday, India had been vanquished in the voting part.
The offer proposed by Indian board authorities in the case of the controversial dividend policy of ‘Big Three’ model were rejected by 9 – 1 votes.
In such a situation, India would avoid to play in the Champions Trophy starting June 1. However, it has been learned that BCCI has decided to withdraw from the decision, not to participate in the Champions Trophy.
But now India wants to participate in this tournament due to their own interests. In this context, one of BCCI’s top officer said, “We will take decision about the team in SGM. The decision to avoid the Champions Trophy will break our own ground. We cannot leave the Champions Trophy for little reason. It can harm us.”
“The loss figure is worth two billion crores. If the board will decide not to send team in the Champions Trophy, other countries might refuse to allow cricketers to play in IPL that would be a tremendous loss for us. The IPL gate will be closed. It will be a complete loss to the BCCI” – he added.
BCCI’s Chief Administrative Officer, Binod Roy, has expressed his hope that positive results will be given in SGM. In this context, he said, “We will try to convince the BCCI’s acting President and secretary in SGM. Hoping I will be able to give a positive news later on.”
Nazmul Islam Sharkar