Pakistan were due to tour Bangladesh in July-August of this year for a full bilateral series. But all of a sudden without any prior notice, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has postponed the series. PCB Chairman Shahryar Khan revealed the news to cricket website ESPNCricinfo on Wednesday. However, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) claims they are yet to hear anything officially from their Pakistani counterparts, adding that they are quite surprised at PCB’s sudden decision to call off the series. [নিউজটি বাংলায় পড়ুনঃ পিসিবির সিরিজ বাতিলে বিসিবির মন্তব্য]
Shahryar Khan claimed in his statement that the PCB and BCB had come to this decision following a mutual understanding. But according to BCB insiders, all that they know so far have been thanks to the media reports. [Read also: Bangladesh opposed to changes in ICC constitution]
In a press conference regarding the matter on Thursday (April 27), BCB media committee chairman Jalal Yunus said: “We are extremely surprised at such decision from the PCB. We knew it even a few days ago that the series was on, and that Pakistan would be touring Bangladesh later this year. But suddenly we are hearing different news. We are yet to hear anything officially from them. All we know are from the media reports. Maybe that have decided to call off the series, but it’s totally their one-sided decision, and we are not aware of this at all. Until they let us know about it formally, we are not sure about what exactly is going on.”
Shahryar Khan said they had taken the decision because they had already visited Bangladesh twice but got no return tour from Bangladesh, so they can’t visit Bangladesh from the third straight time. “We had spoken about the possibility of hosting them [Bangladesh in Pakistan] this year. Pakistan have now toured Bangladesh twice without them reciprocating, and we feel we cannot tour Bangladesh for the third straight time. Therefore, we have decided to postpone the tour, and will explore another window in the next year or so.”
When asked about this, Yunus said: “Pakistan president and our president talked on this issue during the ICC meeting in Dubai. They wanted us to visit their country and play on their soil. But according to the FTP, this is supposed to be our home series. It never was Pakistan’s. We had an agreement with them in 2015 that they would Bangladesh twice to play full bilateral series. So there shouldn’t be any financial issues either. They gave us words that they would again pay a visit to us in 2017. It’s as simple as that, and there shouldn’t be any confusion regarding this.
“As I have already said, there isn’t anything to do with financial matters, because we have already resolved this in the past. We have no second say on this,” Yunus also added.
Quizzed what would their next step be as the PCB are reluctant to visit Bangladesh, Yunus replied: “It’s difficult to enlighten you about this just yet. There should be discussions between the sides. If they (PCB) want to postpone or call off the tour, they must sit with us and talk face-to-face. Only then can we think of what we should be doing next about it.”
– Jannatul Naym Pieal, Correspondent, bdcrictime.com