Team Bangladesh are going to begin their next big mission ICC Champions Trophy 2017 which will be taking place in England and Wales from June 1. Bangladesh are going into this tournament ranked number 6th in the world. Bangladesh is in group A alongside hosts England, current world champions Australia and the resilient New Zealand. The question in every Bangladeshi cricket fans mind right now is ‘how far can Bangladesh go in the tournament’.
So let’s have a look at the strengths of the Bangladesh side. And also search for the keys to success for the tigers.
1. Stable Batting Unit: The current batting lineup of Bangladesh is easily the best in its history. We have experienced players like Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq, Mahmudullah alongside promising young talents like Soumya, Sabbir, Mosaddek etc. If Bangladesh are to do well in this tournament these batters have to step up from the very get go.
2. Pace Attack:From the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup Bangladesh has transformed into a pace depended attack. That transformation has been led by our captain Mashrafe, Rubel, Taskin ,Safiul and Mustafiz are the pace bowlers picked for the Champions Trophy. With Mustafiz playing like his old self and Rubel looking fit and fired up to go Bangladesh’s pace attack is looking quite menacing. Much like in Australia to be successful the fast bowlers will have to play a pivotal role for Bangladesh.
3. Recent Form: Bangladesh is currently going through it’s most memorable and successful run. Bangladesh has been winning quite regularly against top sides. It has been making rapid progress in the rankings,winning most of the matches in their home turf, competing valiantly and even winning some matches in the oppositions turf. This Bangladesh side has turned winning into a habit.This very habit can help them compete and win in The Champions Trophy.
4. Conditioning Camp and Tri-nation Series: The English condition is very testing for all the sides and especially for the sides from the sub continent. It can be very difficult to adjust in those foreign conditions in a short time. But after practicing in Ireland for a few days and playing a tri-series in Ireland the Bangladesh squad seems to have adjusted to the English conditions very well. Bangladesh had a similar kind of training camp in Australia prior to the 2015 ICC World Cup. The results of that training cam is now known to all. The Bangladeshi Fans can hope for a similar type of result from this training camp.
5. Trump Card:Every side needs a player who can single handedly change the course of the match.For Bangladesh that trump card is Mustafizur Rahman. The Mystery Left arm seamer has outdone many reputed batsmen and is considered to be the most promising pace bowler of the current generation. Mustafizur Rahman after recovering from his shoulder injury wasn’t bowling in full rhythm. He was struggling with pace and accuracy. But in the recently concluded Tri-series he regained his old form. He bowled three innings and took 7 wickets with a meager economy rate. Mustafizur Rahman is Bangladesh’s pace attacks spearhead. With his bewildering variations and incredible accuracy Mustafizur Rahman is the main strike bowler of our side.In many ways he holds the key to Bangladesh’s success in this tournament.
The ICC Champions Trophy is a very difficult tournament as there are no easy opponents. Every side competing wants to do come out as victors. I know that to win this tournament Bangladesh has to do what most people will say is impossible. But as a loyal(and some what biased) Bangladesh Cricket fan I would like to hope for the impossible. Because to achieve greatness at first we have to dare to dream.