The vice-captain of Australia, David Warner has attacked Cricket Australia’s(CA) poor handling of the players pay dispute issue and has warned the board that the players might boycott the upcoming Ashes series later this year if the dispute isn’t settled.
The feisty opener has not backed away from claims he made last month of a potential players’ strike during the showpiece home series against England, starting in November.
CA has threatened not to pay contracted players beyond the June 30 expiry of their current financial deal if they do not accept a new offer.
“If we are unemployed, we have no contracts, we can’t play,” he told Fairfax Media Monday in England at the Champions Trophy.“We are pretty sure that they will come to an agreement. But, as you know, we are going to be unemployed come July 1. So we have to wait and see.”
The hard hitting left hand batsman also criticized CA for not discussing their plans directly with the players.Warner said beyond “a couple of emails” CA management had not engaged with its contracted players.
“It is only what we hear in the media and that’s how CA have been driving it the whole way.They have been using the media as a voice and we get the message from there,” said Warner.
But Warner has assured that he and his teammates are not getting distracted by the contract dispute and they are determined to play good cricket and win the Champions Trophy.
“It is a big thing that we could be unemployed, but from us, our job is to play cricket, focus on winning the (Champions Trophy) tournament and not let our country down,” he said.