Herath claimed 6-133 in the second innings, and thus joined former Indian leg-spinner Anil Kumble with eight 10-wicket hauls in Test cricket; only three players in history have more.
Those players – Muthiah Muralidaran, Shane Warne and Sir Richard Hadlee – are bone fide legends of the game and Herath’s case to be considered amongst those legends gets stronger every time he rolls over his left arm.
The seasoned campaigner compatriot and Test cricket’s leading wicket-taker, Muralidaran, captured the most 10-wicket hauls with 22, 12 more than Warne in second place and 13 more than Hadlee.
After playing as many as 81 Test matches for Sri Lanka, Herath now has 383 wickets to his name, and although the 39-year-old is now in the closing stages of his fourth decade, has at least one goal left to achieve before hanging up the spikes, and that is to complete 400 wickets in the elite version of the game.
Top 5 Bowlers with most 10 Wickets Haul in Test Cricket
1. Muthiah Muralidaran – 22 times in 133 Tests
2. Shane Warne – 10 times in 145 Tests
3. Sir Richard Hadlee – 9 times in 86 Tests
4. Rangana Herath – 8 times in 81 Tests
5. Anil Kumble – 8 times in 132 Tests
– Jannatul Naym Pieal, Correspondent, bdcrictime.com