Nathan Lyon starred with the ball as Australia won by seven wickets against Bangladesh on the fourth day of the second Test at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium in Chittagong and level the two-Test series 1-1.
However, after a disappointing first Test in Dhaka, the Aussies bounced back well in the final Test in Chittagong to level the series. Nathan Lyon was the star performer of this Test match. He took 13 Bangladesh wickets – seven in the first innings and six in the second. Lyon shares the player-of-the-series award with David Warner after their brilliant performance in the series. Warner struck two fantastic centuries in this Test series.
Here are the Top 3 performers in each department from the series :
Top three Run-scorers :
1. David Warner : Having batted all four innings of the series, Warner scored highest 251 runs at an average of 62.75. He scored two important centuries in the series being the only man.
2. Tamim Iqbal : The Bangladesh opener was brilliant in the first Test smashing two half-centuries which led his side to the victory. However, he couldn’t perform well in the final game but completed the series with 170 runs next to his name.
3. Mushfiqur Rahim : Bangladesh skipper is third in the list with 158 runs from his four innings at an average of 39.50.
Top three Wicket-takers :
1. Nathan Lyon : Australia spinner Nathan Lyon who was awarded Man of the Tournament tops the list with 22 wickets. He has been impressive through his first ever Bangladesh tour.
2. Shakib Al Hasan : Although the different of the total number wickets between Lyon and Shakib is huge, the number one ranked all-rounder was the main behind Tigers’ first ever Test victory against the Aussies. After a 10-wicket haul in Dhaka, Shakib managed to capture two wickets in the port city.
3. Mehedi Hasan Miraz : Young spinner Mehedi Hasan Miraz is third in the list with 8 wickets from his three bowling innings as he was injured during Bangladesh’s second innings and couldn’t bowl in the final innings of the second Test.
Top three Bowling figures :
All of the top three bowling figures were bowled by the Man of the series awarded Nathan Lyon.
Top three Innings :
1. David Warner : Warner’s steady 123-run innings in the first innings of the second Test is highest innings of the two-match Test series. He faced 234 balls before going back to the pavilion.
2. David Warner : As Warner was the only man to smash a century in both of the Tests, his 122-run knock in the first innings is second in the list. Warner who played 135 balls in the innings has claimed the innings as his best innings so far.
3. Shakib Al Hasan : Number one ranked all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan who led his side with both bat and ball in the first in Mirpur, is third in the list. His important knock of 84 runs under pressure in the first innings of Dhaka Test helped him to stay on top three.
– Nazmus Sajid Chowdhury, Contributor, bdcrictime.com.