Bangladesh ODI skipper Mashrafe Mortaza urged that they need to stand behind the cricketers who lost their national contract as they are the future of country’s cricket.
BCB dropped six players from the national contract list on Wednesday as they attempted an overhaul and decided to include three unnamed rookie players in it.
The six players to lose the BCB contract are – opening batsmen Soumya Sarkar and Imrul Kayes, middle-order batsmen Sabbir Rahman, Mosaddek Hossain and pace bowlers Taskin Ahmed and Kamrul Islam. Sabbir had already lost his contract on disciplinary grounds.
BCB said they decided to trim down the list further following recommendations from its cricket operations committee and national selectors.
BCB president Nazmul Hasan Papon said: “Cricket operations and selectors decided that their performance was not good enough to get covered by the national contract.”
Mortaza said that losing the contract will certainly have an impact on the players’ family: “Natually salary is very important as most of our players are from middle-class family and their game and salary does have a huge impact on their family. You cannot deny it.”
He added: “But the decision lies in the hand of board and they are one to decide who they would keep under their contract but honestly speaking performance does not remain in one graph.”
Mortaza said that players like Soumya, Taskin, Sabbir and Mossadek are considered to be our future generation and it is high time that the seniors backs them.
“They won’t sit down and will try to make a comeback and I believe they will be able to do that. Those who are omitted from the contract list did contribute for our team at some point. We as seniors will try to support them so that they can serve us for a long time,” he said.
“They [Soumya, Taskin, Sabbir and Mossadek] are the future of Bangladesh and they have proved that in their little career so we must support them as this is our duty. I won’t be going backward in this regard,” Mashrafe concluded. 1 of 1