Alex Hales left ‘devastated’ on withdrawal from England WC Squad
Following last week’s unfortunate trail of incidents, Alex Hales was withdrawn from England’s preliminary World Cup squad to ensure the team is “free from any distractions”, the England & Wales Cricket Board said.
The representatives of the English batsman, said on Monday Hales was “devastated” by ECB’s treatment, therefore, ECB has been accused of breaking a promise to stick by Alex Hales.
The 366 Group, who represent Hales, claim Ashley Giles, the Director of England cricket, has altered the assurances that the 30 year old would be free to play in the World Cup provided he completed his punishment and various rehabilitation measures stipulated by the England and Wales Cricket Board’s recreational drugs policy.
A statement from the agency read as quoted by The Guardian, “Nobody is seeking to excuse Alex’s behavior in this instance. He absolutely acknowledges and recognizes he made a huge mistake.”
It continued, “Alex fulfilled his obligations and both he and his representatives were given assurances that any suspension could not affect selection for the World Cup.
It is unfortunate that a confidential matter made it to the public arena but, even before the publication of the story, Alex had again spoken to key members of the England organization to express his regret and contrition. At that time, he again took away the message his World Cup place would be judged on playing merit.”
ECB chief Ashley Giles said, “I want to make it clear this is not the end of Alex’s career as an England player.”
The ECB, however, has refused to say Hales’s terms of actions that might has been done by him to warrant his withdrawal, citing confidentiality concerns.