Anderson prophesies no cricket this summer
England bowler James Anderson foresees no cricket this summer amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Anderson, England’s all-time leading wicket-taker in Test cricket, said he was feeling “a bit anxiuous” as the coronavirus could make a great impact on his professional and personal life.
He also predicted that this summer could even go without any ball bowled.
“Cricket and sport is not the be all and end all but it is my livelihood, it’s all I know. There’s a chance we might not even bowl a ball this summer,” said the 37-year-old.
“The season is unlikely to start,” Anderson also added while speaking to the BBC’s Tailenders podcast.
He also made public the updates of his family, revealing that his parents-in-law are in Spain in lockdown.
“My wife’s mum and dad live in Spain so they are in lockdown. They are in the age group where there are concerns. The anxiety is building up in our house because of not knowing what will happen in the next few months.”
However he is trying to stay calm, “I feel a little bit anxious. Just the not knowing is giving me a bit of anxiety. Also trying to keep a young family healthy. I am trying to stay calm, follow the guidelines.”
It is understood that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) could discuss about the possible rescheduling of the cricket season on Thursday (March 19).
The 2020 County Championship is due to begin on 12 April, while England are set to play West Indies in a three-Test series starting on 4 June. Their tour of Sri Lanka for two Tests was called off last week.
So far England batsman Alex Hales and six other Surrey cricketers are self-isolating.