Ball tampering bans to stay
The Cricket Australia (CA) has decided against early lifting the suspension imposed on Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft.
The board members of the CA unanimously agreed not to alter penalties imposed over the ball-tampering incident, which means the former two will not return to top-level cricket until the current home summer is completed.
The seven-person CA board spoke via telephone hook-up on Monday, where a decision was reached not to overturn any aspect of the bans stemming from the Cape Town ball tampering scandal in March.
Earlier, the Australian Cricketers Association had submitted an appeal to CA last month asking to have the bans altered or thrown out completely. There was also a faction of public support to have the suspensions lifted before the summer Test series.
Interim Chair Earl Eddings said in a statement that the ACA’s submission – which the union has confirmed was lodged with the knowledge, but not at the behest of, the three players – placed unnecessary extra scrutiny on the banned trio.
“The Cricket Australia Board has carefully considered all elements of the ACA submission and has determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players,” Eddings said.
He also announced that no further calls for the penalties to be altered will be considered by the Board. “The Cricket Australia Board does not intend to consider further calls for amendments to the sanctions.”
Smith and Warner were given 12-month bans, while Bancroft was handed a nine-month suspension under CA’s Code of Conduct. This means Bancroft’s ban is due to expire on December 29, while Smith and Warner will not be eligible to return until March 29, 2019.