Chris Woakes admits England players could face pay cuts
English all rounder Chris Woakes admits players may be next to feel the pinch as they could face pay cuts. England and Wales Cricket Board has announced 62 job cuts due to some financial Imbalance in the board amid coronavirus pandemic.
England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Tom Harrison admitted that they hadn’t any option rather than doing this as the board is facing challenges die to worldwide crisis. English cricket Board had already already a way out more to more than £100 million ($129 million). In fact, the figure could multiply onto double of the crisis continues.
England all-rounder Woakes expressed his concern who have victim of pay cut and feels that the financial crisis could rose a grater extent of the resumption of cricket would not happen.
“It does resonate with the players, In the current climate, and with contracts round the corner, I think you just have to expect anything at the minute. As players you’re not going to sit here and say ‘we’re exempt from it’.” said Woakes.
Although the programme of 18 men’s international matches scheduled for this season is set to be completed on Wednesday, the ECB has incurred heavy losses, with all games played behind closed doors.
The ECB introduced pay cuts for staff in April but the reductions have not been enough to stave off job losses.
“The Covid-19 pandemic has left cricket facing its most significant challenge of the modern era,” said Harrison.
“There is also deep uncertainty about the future, and it is vital we take more steps now to ensure the future financial sustainability of cricket in England and Wales.”