Giles reveals reason behind axing Hales
When Alex Hales was already spending a 21-day ban for using drugs, he was hit by even bigger blow when ECB decided to withdraw his name from the World Cup squad.
Though everyone though, ECB removed him from the squad for using drugs, England’s director of men’s cricket, Ashley Giles revealed that this was not the main reason for axing him.
Giles revealed in the recent press conference that ECB had no intention of removing him from the World Cup despite using recreational drugs, but they had to do it in the end because of the exposure that the drug test got. The effect the [latest] news had on the players, the management and the captain were also the other reasons.
“When the teams were selected, the selectors and the captain were unaware of any issue surrounding Alex. The advice we got from our legal guys was categorically we had a duty of confidentiality which we stuck to. We couldn’t tell them, simple as that.”
“But once the story broke on Friday, the effect of it on the England environment – on the players, management and captain – was really strong. We’re building towards our biggest summer of cricket in 40-50 years and our responsibility is to making sure we’re in the best possible shape going into the World Cup. This became too big a distraction for our environment to have,” Giles said.
Meanwhile, Hales’ management team, 366 Group, released a statement saying the batsman had been given assurances that the incident would not affect his World Cup chances. And it went too wrong in the end as the ECB was not happy with this statement
“I didn’t think that statement was particularly good, but he’s clearly disappointed and we get that. We – Tom Harrison and I – kept our part of the bargain and maintained our integrity throughout this. Someone else clearly didn’t. That’s the problem. We said no off-the-field incident could have a bearing on World Cup selection. We stand by that. Any process, whether it be discipline or otherwise, you can’t have double jeopardy,” he concluded.