Malinga to retire from ODIs
Experienced campaigner Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga will call curtains on his One-Day International cricket career following the first match of a three-match series against Bangladesh. The news was confirmed by team skipper Dimuth Karunaratne on Monday.
The 36-year-old fast bowler was named in the 22-man Sri Lanka squad for the upcoming series with matches scheduled for July 26, 28 and 31 at Sri Lanka’s R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.
While addressing the reporters at the team’s press conference in Colombo, Dimuth Karunaratne confirmed that former captain Malinga would only be a sure starter for the first game. Karunaratne is not really sure about what Malinga told selectors about his future but he is certain that Malinga is retiring from ODIs after the first game.
“He is going to play the first match. After that, he is retiring. That’s what he said to me. I don’t know what he said for the selectors but for me, he said he is playing only one match,” said Karunaratne in a statement.
Malinga will leave the pitch as Sri Lanka’s third-highest wicket-taker in ODIs with as many as 335 wickets to his name in 219 innings.
It should be noted that only Muttiah Muralitharan (523) and Chaminda Vaas (399) have taken more wickets than Lasith Malinga in ODIs for Sri Lanka.
Lasith Malinga was the star performer for Sri Lanka as he ended up as the highest wicket-taker at the recently-concluded World Cup, claiming 13 wickets in seven innings.
Malinga called it quits from Test cricket in the year 2011 but made himself available in other formats since then.