Mashrafe denies playing behind Sabbir’s selection
Sabbir Rahman was banned in last September for off-field issues.
Despite serving the suspension which will be due up to February 28, 2019, Bangladesh middle order batsman Sabbir Rahman received the pleasure of being taken into the national team squad for the forthcoming tour to New Zealand.
As controversy heating up in the middle around Sabbir’s selection, Bangladesh limited over skipper Mashrafe bin Mortaza, who was earlier been pointed out by the chief selector as for suggesting selectors to take Sabbir, have completely denied the issue.
On Friday, Mashrafe Mortaza said, as quoted by Cricbuzz,
“The selectors are the sole authority on choosing any player. They wanted my opinion and I gave it to them with cricketing logic. I never told them that they must take Sabbir. They were probably convinced with my opinion and that’s why they picked him.”
The comments appeared in contradiction of chief selector Minhajul Abedin Nannu’s statement when he said, “Let me make clear one thing about Sabbir. He was included due to the strong insistence of the captain [Mortaza]. He firmly requested us to include him, and we have agreed with the captain.
“The team wants someone in the squad who can bat lower in the order with the ability to handle the pacers well. We have included him keeping the New Zealand tour and the World Cup in mind,” he said.
“Let us see what he can do. The captain of the team and we are also confident about him,” Abedin said further.
Sabbir has had an array of breaking discipline in and outside the cricket field. He had been accused of assaulting a fan during a National Cricket League match in Rajshahi, abused fans on social media and hitting team mate Mehidy Hasan during the Afghanistan series.