Media boycotts interactive session as India sends net bowlers to communicate
We are all aware of the fact that the relationship between the Indian media and the Indian Cricket Team is not very healthy during the mega international tournaments. Yet again, this issue is in the headlines after Team India sending youngsters and net bowlers to attend the media conversation just two days before the match against South Africa.
The Indian media contingent was not very pleased with this decision and thus they decided to boycott the interactive session with the three net bowlers, namely Avesh Khan, Khaleel Ahmed and Deepak Chahar. Well, this is not new as there was a similar controversy between the two during the 2015 World Cup which was held jointly in Australia and New Zealand. The journalists of the respective media were expecting the head coach of team India, Ravi Shastri or any other senior player to interact with them. Normally, the skipper of a particular team addresses the media before the match. But team India rarely responded to this and as a result, the media boycotted the session as a sign of protest.
On the other hand, the media manager of Team India defended the decision and explained that the team gave an opportunity to the youngsters to communicate with the media as they would leave England on Tuesday. The manager said, “Avesh and Chahar will be returning to India. Khaleel will remain with the team. Because these two are going back, we thought of bringing them to the press conference. We thought the media might be interested in listening to their experience of being with the squad.”
On asking about the unavailability of the Indian players and support staff, the manager said that this was due to the fact that India was yet to start their campaign for this mega tournament. As per ICC, the captain of the team should address the media on the eve of the match officially. This might be another reason as the previously mentioned interactive media session was not an official one.