Moeen Ali to take indefinite break from Test cricket
England all-rounder Moeen Ali has decided to take an ‘indefinite break’ from Test cricket after being dropped from the side this summer.
The 32-year old has been struggling to keep up the good touch with bat and ball and was sidelined from the one-day team during the group stages of the World Cup and then the Test team after the first Ashes Test last month.
In last four innings, he managed to score only 13 runs. About the decision, the Worcestershire all-rounder said,
“It’s just to get away from it a little bit. I feel like I want to enjoy my batting and this will give me a bit of a break. I want to spend some time with the family. I’ve been playing for England for five years and it’s been quite tough.”
Ashley Giles, the ECB Managing Director said Moeen has just taken a break, this is nothing about retirement.
“Moeen has actually asked me if he could just take a step back from red-ball cricket, which is fine. He’s not retiring, he just wants a little bit of break from Test cricket,” he said.
“For all guys, not just Moeen, it’s been a really challenging summer. A World Cup, and Ashes back-to-back has had a massive effect on many of these guys psychologically as much as physically.
“He might just need to go away and freshen up. But he’s been a really good servant for this team and he’s still relatively young,” Giles added.
Moeen Ali has recently retained his white-ball contract, pointing that he remains a key part of ECB’s plans for the One-day Internationals and T20I formats.
Moeen Ali has received a new ECB men’s central contract for the 2019-20 season.
The Worcestershire all-rounder has been awarded a white ball contract 👇https://t.co/WaDVHVIfUv
— Worcestershire CCC (@WorcsCCC) September 20, 2019