Score

Robinson suspended from international cricket over offensive tweets

Just four days ago, England’s fast bowler Ollie Robinson made the headlines for his old offensive tweets. The pacer made his Test debut against New Zealand at The Lord’s Cricket Ground.

Robinson suspended from international cricket over offensive tweets

Meanwhile, screenshots comprising a series of racist and sexist tweets posted by the pacer on Twitter 9 years ago went viral on social media channels.

Also Read - England bat out last two sessions to draw

This triggered a massive outrage on social media. In his old tweet from 2012, Robinson said: “My new Muslim friend is the bomb”. In another tweet, he wrote: “I wonder if Asian people put smileys like this ¦) #racist”, while his third tweet reads: “Guy next to me on the train definitely has Ebola.”

These infamous screenshots reappeared on social media after the lunch session on Day 1 of the first Test match between England and New Zealand. Nonetheless, he apologized for his tweets and also conceded that he was left “embarrassed” that they had reappeared on the day he made his Test debut.

“On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist, and deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks…,” he said after the first day’s play.

The pacer was the pick of the bowlers for England as he took 4 wickets to his name in the first innings. As far as the second innings is concerned, he took 3 wickets. Overall, he ended up with 7 wickets and was the leading wicket-taker of his team.

Ollie Robinson suspended from all international cricket

In the latest development, the 27-year-old pacer has been suspended from international cricket over a series of offensive tweets. This means that he will no longer take part in the second Test match against the Kiwis starting on June 10 at Edgbaston.

The UK-born seamer was suspended by the ECB pending a disciplinary investigation. An ECB statement said: “England and Sussex bowler Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following historic tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013.

“He will not be available for selection for the LV= Insurance second Test against New Zealand starting at Edgbaston on Thursday 10 June. Robinson will leave the England camp immediately and return to his county.”

Related Articles

An exciting final on cards

Woakes recalled for T20Is after over five years

Robinson takes short break from cricket

Another English player found to have posted racist content

BCCI begins negotiations with other boards to release their players for IPL