We have not received any IPL offer from Sri Lanka Cricket: BCCI
In the epidemic of COVID-19, there have been happening much drama regarding the 13th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL). The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has been in a lot of trouble with this franchise tournament this year. Situation is such that, neither they can organize it nor they can cancel it.
Sri Lanka Cricket Board (SLC) has added a new drama in it. They have invited BCCI to arrange this year’s IPL in Sri Lanka. But BCCI says they have not had any discussions with the Lankans in that issue.
An official of the BCCI, who did not want to be named, said:
“We cannot say when the world will be released from coronavirus. So far we have not received any offer from Sri Lanka Cricket. As a result, there is no question of discussing the arrangement of IPL.”
But a few days ago, the Sri Lankan board chief, Shammi Silva had said the complete opposite. He said that in the meantime, they have sent a proposal to the BCCI, “If the IPL is suspended then the Indian Cricket Board and everyone participating in the tournament will lose more than $500 million.
“If they host the tournament in another country, which they did in South Africa in 2009, it could have avoided major losses. If we receive positive response from them (India) in the proposal, we will provide all the facilities needed under the supervision of Sri Lankan Health Department.”
The IPL was scheduled to begin on March 29. But the tournament has been suspended indefinitely due to coronavirus. BCCI will not only benefit if IPL is organized in Sri Lanka, but Sri Lankan cricket will also earn large sums. However, whether the SLC’s proposal agrees, it is time to look into it. Considering the reversal of the two boards, it seems that there is no possibility of unity.