Aussies visit first World War battle site in Gallipoli for inspiration before WC
Australia World Cup 2019 squad visited the battlefields of Gallipoli, Turkey on Saturday for inspiration before the gruesome campaign ahead including the World Cup and the Ashes.
On their way to England, they stopped in the site where thousands of Australian soldiers died during World War one.
The team headed by head coach Justin Langer flew out on late Friday for a multi-day stop in Turkey.
“Where we are right now, on the way to England for a long campaign representing our country, hopefully it will be a real catalyst for gelling together and success,”
Langer said about the visit.
Australia and New Zealand lost more than 10,000 men in 1915 when they landed alongside British and French troops on the Gallipoli peninsula in the Dardanelles Strait in Germany-allied Ottoman Turkey.
Nearly a year ago, Justin Langer took his squad on a Western Front tour of historic WWI sites in France and Belgium.
“We took the boys to the Western Front last year on the way to England and we’ve had a theme ‘From Lille to Lord’s’ ever since, with the World Cup final at Lord’s on July 14,” Langer told local radio station SEN.
“It’s very sobering, and it was an incredible life experience for the boys, and also it gelled the team together with different experiences and interpretations of our history,” he said.
Australia’s World Cup opener is against Afghanistan on July 1 in Bristol.