Hales still misses out 55-man England training group
13 uncapped players have been picked in the squad as England look to stage a full Test and limited-overs programme against West Indies, Pakistan, Ireland and Australia, despite the coronavirus pandemic.
Fast bowler David Willey who was regular in England national team but lost his place in the team just before the World Cup last year because of new young pace sensation Jofra Archer has been called up again for the training camp.
Although, official squads will be named at a later date, with three Tests against the West Indies, set to be played behind closed doors at bio-secure venues.
England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that the team won’t start their training camp in one place, they’ll do training camp in different places across the country. “It’s really pleasing to be in a position to have players returning to training and a huge amount of work has been done by many to get us this far,” said England and Wales Cricket Board performance director Mo Bobat.
“The pool of players will give selectors strong options when it comes to selecting squads across formats further down the line, as we move closer to our aim of playing international cricket this summer.”
Meanwhile, Nottinghamshire opener Hales was dropped shortly before last year’s World Cup after it emerged he had tested positive for drugs yet not called on the long list.
There had been speculation that, with England likely to need separate red and white-ball squads, Hales might be recalled in the list. But England ODI captain Eoin Morgan hit Hales’ hopes badly on Wednesday when he said ‘it will take more time’ for him to regain the trust of the squad.