Score

“He hasn’t played enough”-Langer on Hazlewood’s omission from the team

Australia head coach Justin Langer has justified his decision to leave pacer Josh Hazlewood out of the World Cup squad ahead of their sixth title mission in England and Wales.

Josh Hazlewood

The paceman was overlooked twice. He was not picked in the 15-man preliminary squad for World Cup. But after another pacer Jhye Richardson ruled out from the World Cup due to injury, it came as an opportunity for Hazlewood to enter in the squad. Unfortunately, he was not picked again. Instead of him, the highest wicket-taker in the 2018-19 Big Bash League (BBL) Kane Richardson was added in the 15-man squad.

Also Read - Gilchrist picks the favourites for 2019 World Cup


Langer pointed out the pacer’s injury concern and match fitness for his omission from the World Cup squad. “He simply hasn’t been playing any [T20 and one-day] cricket,” Langer said. “He’s fallen off a second stress fracture in his back, and keeping in mind that he’s simply beginning to get fully operational in the nets now, I believe he’s played just six white-ball games over the most recent year and a half.

The 28-year old pacer had been Australia’s constant successful bowler for many times. He had been in sublime form in the last ICC tournament before this year’s World Cup, ICC Champions Trophy 2017 in England and wales. He took 9 wickets in just 3 matches with the best figure of 6/52 against New Zealand. That also earned him the no.1 spot in ICC ODI Bowler Rankings then.

“We know he’s an incredible bowler. He’s a splendid bowler, yet it was simply such awful timing for him. He’s a tremendous bloke, he’s been vice-captain of the team. He’s a splendid bowler … his numbers in the course of the most recent four years have been great. Be that as it may, in the course of the most recent year and a half, he simply hasn’t played enough.

“I’m sure he’s disappointed. There’s a couple folks who are disappointed not to be in the squad. Ideally, through the Australia A series, he can begin playing cricket once more. We can hardly wait to invite him back,” the head coach of Australia said.

Hazlewood hadn’t played any 50-over matches since November last year. He played his last ODI against South Africa on November 11, 2018 at Hobart. After that, he’s suffering from back injury and that cost him the World Cup spot unquestionably.

 

Like and Share the news if you liked it.


Related Articles

Battle For Semi Final Intensified

Twitter reacts as Pakistan break New Zealand’s streak

Pakistan alive, NZ suffer first defeat

Watch: Guptill takes a stunner at point to dismiss Imam-Ul-Haq

Bharat Arun defends Dhoni’s slow knock against Afghanistan