Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez has been let off by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after they’d filed a show-cause notice on him for his comments regarding ICC’s process of dealing with suspect bowling action.
Shortly after being cleared to bowl – for the third time in his career – last month, Hafeez appeared to be questioning the protocol in place. Hafeez was sent the notice via e-mail.
A PCB spokesperson said: “Basically, he has been served a notice for criticizing the ICC in an interview. He was sent the notice in evening yesterday [Friday] through e-mail and has seven days to reply.”
However, Hafeez told the three-member PCB disciplinary committee – including Haroon Rasheed [Cricket Operations director], Amjad Hussain [Media & Co-ordination director] and Salman Naseer [GM Legal] – that his views were ‘misinterpreted’. The committee is said to have accepted Hafeez’s explanation and directed him to make a clarification in the media.
Hafeez said: “My intention was not criticise ICC protocols nor did I mention any respected cricket board in my interview.”
“The interview was all about my suggestions to improve the [Bowling action tests] standards and to remove doubts if any from minds of fans of cricket. Unfortunately my comments were misinterpreted and used out of context.”