T20 World Cup to go as scheduled, says ICC
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has cleared the air regarding the fate of the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup on Tuesday (March 17), saying that the competition will take place as per schedule.
“In response to the ongoing coronavirus crisis, the ICC T20 World Cup 2020 Local Organising Committee is monitoring the situation closely with relevant authorities, and will continue to do so,” confirmed the international governing body.
“The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup is scheduled to take place from 18 October – 15 November 2020 in seven venues across Australia. We are planning for the event to go ahead as scheduled,” it also added.
The coronavirus pandemic has taken a huge toll on sports all across the globe and cricket is not an exception.
However, Cricket Australia is also hopeful the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup will go ahead as planned.
Speaking to cricket.com.au, Cricket Australia (CA) chief Kevin Roberts claimed that the coronavirus pandemic has not affected Australia’s preparations for the T20 World Cup.
“None of us are experts in this situation obviously, so our hope is that we’re back in very much normal circumstances come October and November when the men’s T20 World Cup is to be played,” said Roberts.
“And at this stage we’re planning on November 15, to have a full house at the MCG to inspire the world through men’s cricket as the women’s cricketers did here just last week,” he further added.